- Make your passwords stronger – use numbers, symbols, upper and lower case letters.
- Banks and financial institutions will not send you an email asking you to click on a link and confirm your bank details.
- Anti-virus software protects your computer – make sure it’s up-to-date.
- Emails can contain viruses – only open them if you know who they’re from.
- Software updates keep your computer safe – install them as soon as you get a reminder.
- Computer firms do not make unsolicited phone calls to help you fix your computer.
Protect yourself from fraud
- If an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Never give out any personal information unless you are certain you can trust the person contacting you.
- Your bank would never contact you to ask you for your PIN, password or other security information in full.
- Similarly, they would never send a so-called ‘courier’ to collect bank cards or money.
- Shred receipts with your card details on and correspondence with your name and address on.