- If someone comes to your door, ask to see their identification. You do not have to let them in, and they must leave if you ask them to.
- Check that the trader is registered on the Australian Government’s Business ABN lookup website.
- Do not agree to offers or deals straight away: tell the person that you are not interested or that you want to get some advice before making a decision.
- If you are interested in what a door-to-door salesperson has to offer, take the time to find out about their business and their offer.
- Carry out a web search on the business to see if there are other consumers who have commented on the quality of their work – many scams can be identified this way.
- ALWAYS get independent advice if an offer involves significant money, time or commitment.
- Read all the terms and conditions of any offer very carefully: claims of free or very cheap offers often have hidden costs.
- Always check that goods or services were both ordered and delivered before paying an invoice.
- Contact your local office of fair trading if you are unsure about an offer or trader.
To keep up to date with scams and to get some great tips as below, head to the SCAM Watch website or call the North Brisbane Crime Prevention Office on 3364 3426.